Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Dakar / Ile de Gorée

I arrived to Dakar, and the airport experience lived up to what you would expect in a hot, dusty African capital. Longish lines for entry visa, not much order, hot. Funneled outside and found Kaitlyn waiting for me, o happy day! I had my first experience of her rather impressive haggling skills & techniques as we negotiated a taxi to our hotel, Hotel du Phare, which was super.

We spent a couple of nights there, watched some World Cup on their rooftop terrace, enjoyed the first of many mangoes




and visited Ile de Gorée, a reputed center for the west African slave trade, which is a very short ferry ride from Dakar's port (and where I had my first taste of mafe [peanut based sauce] and yassa [tomato/onion based spicy sauce]).

No comments:

Post a Comment